Thursday 23 March 2017

Sold Over Asking



Selling houses really is a unique phenomenon in our economy.

In my neighbourhood, many of the "Sold" signs have an extra sign attached to it, reading "sold over asking".

I can't think of another product or service that could advertise this.

Store sign: Yarn for sale. 500 bundles of yarn sold over asking last week.

The only place where we bid on things and the price goes up is an auction. Selling houses is an auction, without the annoying, toothless, southern-accented redneck squealing gibberish into a microphone.

I can understand why the house seller is happy to sell for over asking. But does the buyer really want everyone reading the "sold over asking" sign?

"Welcome to the hood, neighbour. You must be the dufus who overpaid for this house."

"Sure am. Boy did we luck out."

"I have a used lawnmower I'm selling for $25,000. Interested?"

"Will you take $30,000?"