Wednesday 13 July 2016

Slow Down, Dream


Walking through Chapters bookstore the other day, I noticed an entire section of items with inspirational quotes printed on them.

Pillows, books, pottery, signs, mugs, bookends, toilet roll holders…

Inspirational quotes are great, except when they suck, which is most of the time because they don't make much sense.

Or, they inspire me for a few seconds, and then I have to get back to calling VISA and talking real nice to them.

"Always Chase Your Dreams"

That bugs me.

Chase? Doesn't that imply they are running away from me? Why? Did I offend?

"Hey dream, I've been running after you for a while. Can we talk? At least let me put on some confortable footwear."

Finally! I achieved my dreams. Well, not quite. We're getting together for coffee and might do dinner and a movie. Will we kiss? It's a start.

Do my dreams have to run so fast? Are they training for the Rio Olympics? I feel like I have smoker's lungs, trying to keep up with them.

Chase my dreams? I feel like getting in a car and running them over.

Have you ever heard of dream rage? Me neither, until my dreams pulled ahead of me without signalling.

I'm so despicable. I kinda wish my dreams were in a wheelchair so I could catch them. Push the chair over, maybe. "Try getting away now."

"It's time you did some of the work, dream."

"I have a 14-year-old mental patient called a "daughter", a boss called a "wife", and a dog called "mind if I crap on the carpet?"

"I'm busy."

If pleading doesn't work, I just might develop a second dream that makes the first dream jealous.

Maybe I'll just avoid that part of Chapters.